During the mid-1920s The branch catered to many prominent businesses of the time, including the Victoria Machinery Depot, Ormond’s Biscuit Factory, and most notably the Silver Springs Brewery next door — with whom the Royal Bank had a, let’s say, mutually beneficial relationship. Their headquarters being so close together, and both businesses being involved in the trade of a much-desired commodity, the bank and the brewery installed a buzzer system within each of their main offices to notify the other in the case of a holdup.
Now it turns out that 1920s Victoria wasn’t home to that many burglars, as the buzzer system eventually took on a more casual purpose. According to reports, following three buzzes from the Silver Springs office, a bank employee would run across the street with a crate on his shoulder, slide down a conveniently-located coal chute, and be met with a replenishment of fresh Silver Springs Ale, on the house. We can only assume this was in exchange for especially diligent banking services
Silver Springs Brewery was was amalgamated into Coast Breweries in 1928, and eventually dissolved in 1959 when it was absorbed by Lucky Lager Breweries.